My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, USA, United States

I sometimes refer to myself as TragicCharacter but I am anything but!

Monday, September 18, 2006

"The Thirteenth Tale"



Ok -I am again pushing a book I am not done with yet, but I have enjoyed it so much thus far that I am recommending it. Will it stay in the top 100... that remains to be seen. This novel is a story within a story. Our lead, a young woman who works in her father's bookshop in England and is an amateur biographer, receives a letter requesting she meet with a famous but reclusive old novelist - to write her biography. Why our heroine is chosen, she is not sure. Whether she wants the job, she is not sure. Who this novelist is, she is not sure. So mystery abounds.

The author's voice here is lovely. If you liked the author's voice in the The Historian, this book deserves a home in your bookshelf. The narration is direct but really carries the wilder moments of the inner tale forward. There is something very mystical about 13 - so the title invites you into that possibility. But thus far, the author has repeatedly edged right up to the supernatural, really made you believe in the boogey-man, then calmly explained why it is all mere fantasy. Does she mean it? Is there a ghost story to hear? Hmmm.... I don't know if I am being desensitized to the fantastical or the opposite. Rest assured the story within is wild enough that dropping the supernatural element wouldn't bug me at all. This is a very well-told book... I expect the story will live up to the high bar the author has set thus far. Oh, and while it is still hardcover, it is currently all over at deep discounts... Costco, Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

PS. Lovely website too ...http://www.thethirteenthtale.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home